Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The 7-7-7 Meme

I got tagged on Facebook by Mike Monson and Ryan Sayles with the latest writer’s meme that’s doing the rounds.
The rules are: go to either page 7 or 77 of your manuscript. Count down 7 lines and then copy the next 7 lines to your Facebook status. Well, okay I did all that so I figured I might as well post it here as well. I hope you dig it.
…The rain was shot through with flecks of snow that turned pink in the bubble gum glow of strip club neon.  I dodged behind a checker cab and took shelter in the doorway of a Laundromat. Inside was a large woman dressed in sweat pants and a crop T that would have been too tight on someone half her size. She sat eating raw cookie dough and watching her clothes turn with a thousand yard stare that I recognized from the fox holes of Vietnam. A yellowing sign on the wall above her machine proclaimed, ’24/7 - we’re always open.’ Somehow I doubt this was what Sinatra had in mind when he was singing about the city that never sleeps…
 
That's an excerpt from a story provisionally titled ‘Exit Wounds'.  It has been a work in progress for a while now. I can’t help it; I’m easily distracted by shiny things. I also have a shit load of other stuff that’s just way more pressing, but maybe this one will see the light of day at some point.
 
To keep this going I tagged a few of the Brit Grit boys: Darren Sant, Paul D. Brazill, Nigel Bird and Gareth Spark.  So if you’re on the FB thingy keep a look out.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Well have at it.